Australian Government support

The Australian Government provides a range of programs and incentives to help people with disability find and keep jobs. Some of these programs are designed specifically for people with disability. Other programs are available to the wider community, but may be especially helpful to people with disability who are looking for work.

Work Based Personal Assistance

If you’re supporting a person with disability who needs help at work to eat a meal, use the toilet or take medication, your participant may be eligible for support through Work Based Personal Assistance (WBPA). The assistance reimburses the costs of personal support services in the workplace for people who need regular help due to a disability or medical condition. Disability Employment Services (DES) participants who are eligible for support under the National Disability Insurance Scheme should talk to the National Disability Insurance Agency about this assistance. For other eligible DES participants, information about eligibility criteria and the application process is available in the WPBA guidelines on the DES Provider portal.

Supported Employment

Supported employment is when businesses employ mostly people with disability and support them in their job. Supported employees are usually people who work in Australian Disability Enterprises (ADEs).

ADEs are just like any other business, but they mostly employ people with disability who need high levels of ongoing support. ADEs design jobs around the individual abilities of people with disability and provide workplace modifications to accommodate their workforce.

If you are supporting someone who would like to work in packaging, assembly, production, recycling, screenprinting, plant nursery, garden maintenance and landscaping, cleaning services, laundry services and food services, then an ADE may be a good job match.

Funding for supported employment provided by ADEs is transitioning to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). NDIS planners can incorporate employment supports into NDIS plans if it is reasonable and necessary to do so.

If you want to find an ADE you can visit the BuyAbility website.

Mobility Allowance

Are you supporting someone who has a medical report stating they are unable to use public transport? Your participant may be eligible for the Mobility Allowance to travel to and from home for paid work, voluntary work or training. The Mobility Allowance can also cover costs of travelling for work-related activities. For more information, visit the Services Australia website, call 13 27 17 or contact a JobAccess Adviser on 1800 464 800.

Work Assist

You may be approached by a person with disability who already has a job but needs help to keep it. You can offer support to people who are finding it difficult to fulfil the essential requirements of their job due to the impact of their injury, disability or health condition through Work Assist. Refer to the Work Assist Guidelines for more information on how to register and commence a Work Assist participant. These guidelines are available on the DES Provider portal.

Community Development Program (CDP)

The Community Development Program (CDP) helps people—including those with disability—find work in remote Australia. For more information, visit the National Indigenous Australians Agency website. You can also search for a CDP provider in your local area on the Workforce Australia website.

National Disability Coordination Officer Program

There are over 30 National Disability Coordination Officer (NDCOs) based in regions across Australia who work with schools, universities, TAFEs and other community organisations to assist people with disability transition from school to tertiary education and then employment. NDCOs also work with local DES providers, Workforce Australia employment services providers and business groups to identify and address barriers to education and employment. For more information, visit the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

Last updated: