Funding for changes to the workplace

Sometimes changes need to be made in the workplace for people with disability to perform a particular job. The Australian Government provides funding through the Employment Assistance Fund (EAF) to cover the costs of making these workplace changes. This can include buying equipment, modifications or accessing services for people with disability.

The EAF can assist you if you are about to start a job, are already employed, or are self-employed. If you are a jobseeker who requires Auslan Level 2 assistance or who requires work related assistive technology or special work equipment to look for and prepare for a job, EAF may also be able to assist you. Other items often covered under the EAF include communications technology, Auslan (Australian sign language) interpreting, disability awareness training for your colleagues, and specialist support for people with mental health conditions or learning disorders.

Some funding caps apply to particular items under the EAF as follows:

  • Physical workplace adjustments and building modifications are capped at $64,427.
  • Auslan Level 1* interpreting is for work related activities, including remote interpreting and real time captioning: it is capped at $12,885 for every 12 month period.
  • Auslan Level 2 interpreting is for job interviews and related activities, such as site visits, completion of tests and information sessions: funding is uncapped.
  • Auslan Level 3 interpreting is to help co-workers receive training (Certificate II in Auslan) to communicate with employees who are deaf or have a hearing impairment and who use Auslan as their main method of communication: it is capped at $918.
  • Disability Awareness Training for your workplace (capped at $1,610 for each employee with disability within a 12 month period).
  • Specialised Support and Training Packages for people with mental health conditions or specific learning disorders ($1,610 per eligible employee in a 12 month period).

NOTE: EAF capped amounts were updated on 1 July 2024
* A new Auslan Level 1 application is required for work related activities every 12 months.

The Employment Assistance Fund application process

You or your employer submits an application for funding through the Employment Assistance Fund (EAF).
JobAccess assesses the application and lets you or your employer know the outcome. If the application goes ahead, JobAccess will advise if a workplace assessment is needed
If no workplace assessment is needed, you or your employer can purchase the approved goods/services and have the costs reimbursed through JobAccess.
If a workplace assessment is needed, JobAccess will arrange a specialist (at no cost to you or your employer) to confirm what workplace changes are required. Following approval, the purchase can be made and costs will be reimbursed through JobAccess.

The Employment Assistance Fund application process

Applications for funding through the EAF can be submitted online.

Further information about the EAF is available on the Employment Assistance Fund (EAF) webpage.

You can also speak to your Disability Employment Services provider.

Last updated: