Australian Government support

The Australian Government provides a range of programs and incentives to help people with disability find and keep jobs. Some of these programs are designed specifically for people with disability. Other programs are available to the wider community, but may be especially helpful to people with disability who are looking for work.

Work Based Personal Assistance

If you have an employee who needs help at work to eat a meal, use the toilet or take medication, your employee may be able to access financial help through Work Based Personal Assistance (WBPA). WBPA reimburses the costs of workplace support services for people who need regular help due to their disability or medical condition. For more information, including eligibility, speak to a Disability Employment Services (DES) provider in your area.

Mobility Allowance

Do you have an employee who has a medical report to say they are unable to use public transport? Your employee may be eligible for the Mobility Allowance to travel to and from home for paid work, voluntary work or training. The Mobility Allowance can also cover costs of travelling for work-related activities. For more information, speak to a DES provider in your area, visit the Services Australia website, or call 13 27 17.

Work Assist

If you have an employee who is finding it difficult to fulfil the essential requirements of their job due to the impact of their injury, disability or health condition, with their permission, you can access Work Assist on their behalf. Work Assist is accessed through a DES provider. The aim is to allow people with disability to continue working and for you to be able to keep a valued employee. Assistance available can include:

  • Advice about job redesign
  • A comprehensive workplace assessment
  • Free workplace modifications and/or special equipment
  • Support in the workplace to help manage the impact of injury, disability or health condition
  • Interventions such as occupational therapy, pain management, physiotherapy and psychological counselling.

A DES provider may also link you with other available services, such as assistance offered by JobAccess.

For more information call the JobAccess advice line on 1800 464 800 or speak to a DES provider in your area. To find a DES provider near you, go to our list of DES providers.

Community Development Program (CDP)

Finding the right person for a job when you run a business in remote Australia can sometimes be a challenge. The Community Development Program (CDP) can help find people—including those with disability—to suit your business needs. For more information, visit the National Indigenous Australians Agency website. You can search for a CDP provider in your local area on the Workforce Australia website.

National Disability Coordination Officer Program

There are over 30 National Disability Coordination Officers (NDCOs) based in regions across Australia who work with schools, universities, TAFEs and other community-based organisations to assist people with disability transition from school to tertiary education and then employment. NDCOs also work with local DES providers, Workforce Australia Employment Services Providers and business groups to identify and address barriers to education and employment. For more information, visit the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

Last updated: