Developing a disability employment support plan
Your organisation and employees with disability are likely to benefit enormously from the development of employment support plans.
Such plans address the individual needs of employees with disability, to help them perform in their roles, keep their jobs and progress in their careers. The plans can also help ensure that your organisation receives the ongoing assistance it needs from providers of Disability Employment Services.
Employment support plans consider various aspects of workplace management across an employee’s time in a role. These aspects may include:
- workplace modifications and special equipment, if required
- job design including tasks, procedures and hours
- ordered instructions for duties
- visual/written checklists and memory prompts
- workplace education on the employee’s disability
- performance appraisals
- timetables for skills development
- review and updating of the employment support plan.
The National Disability Recruitment Coordinator (NDRC) has developed an employment support plan template that your organisation can download and adapt for its own use.