Disability Employment Services
What are Disability Employment Services?
Disability Employment Services (DES) is the Australian Government’s employment service that helps people with disability find employment and keep a job.
Through DES, people with disability, injury or a health condition may be able to receive assistance to prepare for, find and keep a job.
Providers of Disability Employment Services are called DES providers for short. DES providers are a mix of large, medium and small, for-profit and not-for-profit organisations that support people with disability. DES providers can also provide assistance to employers, and help them put in place practices that support the employee in the workplace.
Disability Employment Services has two parts:
- Disability Management Service - help for jobseekers with disability, injury or health condition who need assistance to find a job, and occasional support in the workplace.
- Employment Support Service - help for jobseekers with permanent disability to find a job, if they need regular, ongoing support in the workplace.
Find a DES provider near you
To find a DES provider, you can search by postcode, suburb or name at the following link.
Please note that as of 1 July 2018, Star Ratings will not be available on the JobAccess website.
Star Ratings are awarded to each Disability Employment Services Provider to show how well they help people with disability to find a job and keep it.
Due to the changes to the new DES Program, Star Ratings cannot be given to DES Providers until after they have commenced helping people to find work. This information will be collected for each DES provider over a 12 month period. Some DES providers may have old Star Ratings displayed on their own websites. This indicates their past performance ratings under arrangements of the previous DES program.
DES Reform 2018
People with disability, Disability Employment Services providers and employers have provided feedback that has helped inform and drive changes to improve the performance of Disability Employment Services. These changes will start from 1 July 2018 and will help to:
- support DES participants to choose the service that best meets their needs
- drive competition in the delivery of services
- improve incentives for providers to place jobseekers in employment
Hiring people with disability
There are significant business benefits when employing someone with disability— benefits beyond just filling a job. These advantages have been confirmed in both Australian and international studies. The research shows that employees with disability are reliable, productive, affordable and good for business.
You can find more information on the benefits of hiring people with disability here.
- Disability Employment Services current Deed
- Disability Employment Services Grant Agreement – effective 1 July 2018
- National Panel of Assessors current Deed
- DES Fact Sheets