Disability Employment Services
What are Disability Employment Services?
Disability Employment Services (DES) is the Australian Government’s employment service that helps people with disability find employment and keep a job.
Through DES, people with disability, injury or a health condition may be able to receive assistance to prepare for, find and keep a job.
Providers of Disability Employment Services are called DES providers for short. DES providers are a mix of large, medium and small, for-profit and not-for-profit organisations that support people with disability. DES providers can also provide assistance to employers, and help them put in place practices that support the employee in the workplace.
Disability Employment Services has two parts:
- Disability Management Service - help for jobseekers with disability, injury or health condition who need assistance to find a job, and occasional support in the workplace.
- Employment Support Service - help for jobseekers with permanent disability to find a job, if they need regular, ongoing support in the workplace.
To find a DES provider near you, go to our list of DES providers.
Each Disability Employment Service is given a Star Rating that shows how well it helps people with disability to find a job and keep it. Star Ratings go from 5-Stars down to 1-Star. Services with higher Star Ratings are better at finding long-term jobs for their job seekers, particularly people whose life circumstances make it very hard for them to find work.
DES Reform 2018
People with disability, Disability Employment Services providers and employers have provided feedback that has helped inform and drive changes to improve the performance of Disability Employment Services. These changes will start from 1 July 2018 and will help to:
- support DES participants to choose the service that best meets their needs
- drive competition in the delivery of services
- improve incentives for providers to place jobseekers in employment
Hiring people with disability
There are significant business benefits when employing someone with disability— benefits beyond just filling a job. These advantages have been confirmed in both Australian and international studies. The research shows that employees with disability are reliable, productive, affordable and good for business.
You can find more information on the benefits of hiring people with disability here.
- Disability Employment Services current Deed
- Disability Employment Services Grant Agreement – effective 1 July 2018
- National Panel of Assessors current Deed
- DES Fact Sheets